Wednesday, August 23, 2017

How I decided: College

Last year I was a senior in high school and I was touring colleges and which school I wanted to go to in the fall when college starts. My intended major is elementary art education and become an elementary school art teacher.
I had a specific set of expectations for the college I wanted to go to. I wanted to continue my foreign language of Mandarin Chinese, have a good performing arts program so I could also study dance and I wanted a good art program to help me succeed in my craft. With this list I narrowed my colleges of choice to: University of Colorado Boulder, Eastern Connecticut State University, University of Vermont, Southern Connecticut State University, Lesley University, University of Massachusetts Boston and Alfred University. I was very indecisive on which college to choose and I did not have an "ah ha" moment. The whole time I thought that I wouldn't find my "perfect" college and it was getting close to the final decision day for choosing the college for the fall. I had applied to a few art schools not thinking that I would get accepted. For my personally there was one obstacle in my way from instantly committing to art school and that was the fear of not being good enough or deciding to switch my major outside of the art relm. 
During the school year I decided to go to the event National Portfolio Review Day which is where art students go to get their work critiqued by art school admissions representatives to see which colleges are interested in their work and get an idea where they want to apply for art school. I went to visit some of the colleges that I was interested in like Lesley University and Alfred University. I was already accepted to one art school and I thought it would be good to have a critique of my art in person so I can hear any feedback that was not said to me when visiting the schools. I went to the stand where Alfred University was doing portfolio reviews and I did not know a lot about Alfred University besides that it was an art school and that it specializes in ceramic art. I had a family friend who studied there and loved it so I thought it would be a good experience to have a critique from them even though I did not apply to that school. I came to the booth and I did not really know what to expect because I did not know much about the school but surprisingly I received very positive feedback from the person running the stand. The person at the stand was an upperclassman ceramics professor and from what I could tell is that she was very experienced and gave me a lot of constructive criticism to improve my art. 
I think I was partially convinced to apply to Alfred University because I was given such amazing feedback and it sounded like the professor thought that I would do really well as a student there. I know it sounds like every person at a college stand saying "come to our college" but I went with my gut and applied to Alfred. I had a feeling that they saw something in me that I couldn't even pinpoint. So I submitted my portfolio thinking hopefully I will get in and see if I could get into the School of Art and Design. 
A few months later I received my letter of acceptance. To be honest I was afraid to open it because I did not know if it was a rejection letter or not. I still did not know a lot about the school at that time so I was still a bit worried because I had not visited the school yet. A few weeks later me and my Mom made the long 5 1/2 hour drive to Alfred. When I toured the school I was in awe with how developed the art program was and I had my moment that I was gonna go to this school. 
I was so overjoyed to finally make my decision to go to Alfred I was in shock how amazing the art program was. The next day I submitted my first payment for Alfred University and I could not have been happier. Also Alfred has the school of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other areas of specialty for other students. I could not be happier with my choice to go to AU because I am living my dream doing what I love every single day and that's going to be my life for the next 4+ years of my life.