Friday, January 19, 2018

Photographic Self Portraits: Alter Ego & Future Self

Alter Ego

For the first week back from break all of the foundations students were together to create photographic portraits of themselves working in groups of 3-4. We were supposed to think about what defines us and our own self identity. My first idea for the topic of our alter ego would be for me to be really dark and scary because I felt like that was very outside of my comfort zone. I wanted the photos to represent an opposite side to my personality and for other people to see a different style to me as an artist. I was really happy with my photos for my alter ego because I was a bit "afraid" to attempt doing this prompt with this approach because some of the other students were not the most supportive of my vision but I decided to go with my instincts and follow through with my idea and I think that it made me realize how I am my own artist and I can make my own decisions. 

Future Self

For my future self portraits I was a little bit lost for what direction I wanted to go in because the "future" is a very broad concept. I first thought about doing a portrait of me as a modern dancer because I am a dance minor learning different dance styles and I could see myself improving through my time at Alfred University. I also thought of the idea to just do photos of me as myself: happy and healthy because I did not know where I would be in the future in a few years but I know that I will be happy. My third idea was to do a portrait of me as a new art teacher because I want to teach elementary art education after I graduate from Alfred. I decided to do my third idea because I felt like it would be a good contrast from my alter ego portrait. I also think that the third idea incorporated the second idea as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment